We are required by law to maintain the privacy of your health information. We are also required to display this notice about our privacy practices, our legal duty, and your rights concerning your health information.
Tovey Little Dental Centre uses personal and confidential information for a number of purposes. This Privacy Notice provides a summary of how we use your information. To ensure that we process your personal data fairly and lawfully we are required to inform you:
• Why we need your data
• How it will be used and
• Who it will be shared with
The law determines how organisations can use personal information. The key laws are: the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA), the Human Rights Act 1998 (HRA), relevant health service legislation, and the common law duty of confidentiality.
Tovey Little Dental Centre recognises the importance of protecting personal and confidential information, Under the confidentiality code of conduct, all our staff are required to protect your information, and to inform you of how it is used, this includes in most circumstances, allowing you to decide how your information is shared. We take care to meet our legal duties.
We reserve the right to change our privacy practices and the terms of this notice at any time, provided such changes are permitted by law. Before we make a significant change in our privacy practices, we will change this notice and make the new changes available upon request.
WHAT TYPE OF INFORMATION DO WE HOLD:
We process personal information to enable us to support the provision of healthcare services to patients, maintain our own accounts and records, promote our services, and to support and manage our employees. The types of personal information we use include:
• Personal details such as names, addresses, telephone numbers
• Family details for example next of kin details
USES AND DISCLOSURES OF HEALTH INFORMATION
We use and disclose health information about you for treatment, payment and healthcare operations. Such disclosure may be in paper or electronic format. For example
• We may disclose your health records to other healthcare providers providing treatment to you.
• We may use and disclose your health information to obtain payment for services we provide for you.
In addition to our use of your health information for treatment and payments, you may give us written authorisation to use your health information or to disclose it to anyone for any purpose. If you give us authorisation you may revoke it at any time in writing. Unless you give us authorisation we cannot use your health information for reason except those described in this notice
We can use or disclose your protected health information for the following purposes without your written authorisation.
• We may use or disclose health information to notify your family member, personal representative or another person responsible for your care.
• We may use your health information in the event of your incapacity or emergency circumstances
• We may disclose your health information to appropriate authorities if we reasonably believe you are a victim of abuse, neglect, or domestic violence or the possible victim of other crimes.
• We may use your health information when we are required to do so by law.
• We may disclose your health information if required for National security.
• We may disclose your health information in the response to a court order, subpoena or other lawful process.
We cannot use your health information without authorisation for:
• We must obtain written authorisation for use or disclosure of you health information for marketing communications to you about products or services that encourages you to use or purchase the product or service.
• We must obtain an authorisation for any disclosure of your protected health information which constitutes a sale of such protected health.
You have the right to look at or get copies of your health information. You can request that we provide copies in a format other than photocopies. We will use the format you request unless we cannot practicably do so. You may request and receive an electronic copy of your health records if we maintain your information in an electronic health record.
• You must obtain a request in writing to obtain access to or a copy of your health information. You will need to provide adequate information so that we can verify your identity (name, address, date of birth, NHS number)
• We may charge you a reasonable cost based fee for expenses such as copies or staff time.
• If you request an alternative format we may charge a cost based fee for providing health information in that format.
You have the right to receive a list of instances in which we disclosed your health information for purposes other than for treatment, payment, or to other health authorities for treatment for the past six years.
You have the right to request that we communicate with you about your health information by alternative means or to alternative locations.
• Your request must be made in writing.
• Your request must specify the alternative means and location and provide satisfactory explanation how payments will be handled under the alternative means or location you request.
You have the right to request that we amend your health information.
• Your request must be made in writing.
• It must explain why the information should be amended.
• We may deny your request under certain circumstances.
QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS
If you want more information about our privacy practices or have a question or concern, please contact us.
If you are concerned that we have violated your privacy rights, or you disagree with the decision we made about access to your health information or in a response to a request you made to amend or restrict the use or disclosure of your health information or to have use communicate with you by alternative means or alternative location, you may complain to us using the contact number listed below.
We support your right to the privacy of your health information.
CONTACT PERSON: Karen Fox (Practice Manager)
ADDRESS: Tovey Little Dental Centre, Citrine House, Borough Road, Wakefield, WF1 3AZ
TELEPHONE: 01924 374092